Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Weekend in Seguin

I am incredibly blessed to have a rich family history on both my mom and dad's side of the family.  Scott always teases me for all the family reunions I go to each year.  Yes, I usually have two each summer, but he counts getting together for holidays and birthdays as reunions, too.  I can't help it if my family enjoys seeing each other!  Anyway, this weekend was spent mostly in Seguin touring my great, great grandfather's home and then celebrating my great aunt's 98th birthday.  Katie got to come down from Midland and join us!

Arthur Bergfeld House Tour
Over 10 years ago, my cousin Janice Woods Windle, wrote an amazing book about my great grandfather, Will Bergfeld.  He was accused of treason in 1917, when anti-German sentiment ran rampant during World War I. Here is a link to the book:  Will's War.  I read it when it was first published and of course became my favorite novel.  If you enjoy courtroom dramas and historical fiction this is a great book for you.  In fact, I think I'll read it again (it has been 11 years).  I promise I'm not making anything off that advertisement.  Ha!  Anyway, on Saturday I was able to tour my great, great grandfather's (Arthur Bergfeld) home  that he built, which was a scene in a part of the book Will's War.  A gracious couple restored the home and were kind enough to let us tour it.  It was part of a larger Seguin tour for the book.  I kept saying over and over again that I wish they still built homes like that.  Here is a link to an article about the home: San Antonio At Home article. 


It was quite interesting taking a 2 year old on a tour like this.  I kept my eye on her to make sure she didn't knock anything expensive off the wall or grab anything off a table.  She was the perfect angel and the only person close to her in age was my sister.  Ha!  At one point she shushed an older woman who had come into the tour late.  Hehe!


 After the tour, we went to the family farm in Seguin to take wildflower pictures.  We had to wake poor Bailey up from her nap to get some pictures, but it was worth it. 

Aunt Virginia's Birthday Celebration
On Sunday, we celebrated my great aunt Virginia's 98th birthday.  We all met over at my grandparent's house as a family for lunch first.  Bailey got to see and play with some of her cousins. 

 She also enjoyed seeing the real turtle.  She has a toy turtle that lights up her room with stars every night that she calls Mr. Turtle, so it was neat to see the real thing.  Later on she started taunting the turtle and it tried snapping at her, which she thought was hysterical.
                                                                                    

Bailey, Mom, and Aunt Virginia


After lunch we headed over to Aunt Virginia's home to celebrate her birthday.  You would have no idea she was 98 years old.  I hope that I am still that sharp and healthy when I'm 98!


Bailey enjoyed playing in the playhouse that was on Aunt Virginia's front lawn.  It was built for her daughter Janice when she was a young girl.  Bailey went in and out of the house all day playing "tea party" and feeding her baby doll.  Of course, when it was time to go she was not too happy.


Bailey also really enjoyed getting to see her Aunt Katie.  Bailey has a lot of Katie's character traits and I am so grateful for that.  Growing up with Katie life was never boring!  Bailey has the same goofy sense of humor, curiosity, and love of life that Katie has.  Oh and they can both charm the socks off anybody!



3 comments:

  1. so cool! I remember when y'all used to talk about that book, but never really got what it was about! I'll have to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing weekend! The pictures are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of her and the grandfolks in the flowers, girl you are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete