Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Great Fall: Welcome Home


My "childhood" buds
The year was 1994.  I was a 14 year old freshman newly transplanted to Austin from California.  I hardly knew a soul in Austin and Great Fall Retreat was the very first thing on my list of experiences with the new church my parents already called "home".  It was at that retreat many moons ago, that I met some of my soon to be lifelong friends.  Fast forward 18 years to 2012... Now I'm a mommy of a toddler, no longer a camper, and serving at the same camp alongside those same friends. 

Bailey and Daddy in the morning

Great Fall has been, as long as I've gone, at the HEB Encampment in Leakey, Texas.  It is like a second home to me and actually my parents, too.  My father accepted Christ at this camp and he met my mother there, as well.  It definitely holds a very special place in my heart and I was so excited to get to share that with Scott and Bailey this year. 
 Normally at Great Fall I serve on the rec team (now I'm too old for that) or the kitchen crew.  However, this year our youth minister asked Scott and me to help lead one of the bible studies.  So Scott and I led the 9th and 10th graders in the Saturday morning study. These teenagers were so eloquent and knowledgeable of the bible.  I called them the "AP" group! They seemed way more mature than what I remember being at 9th or 10th grade.  We were studying Psalm 139 where David writes about how God knows everything about us and knows everything that we do.  Scary to think that He is there to see all the good and the bad, but it's a relief to know that He's there all the time, especially when you need Him most.
Playing in the sand at the volleyball court


 During our bible study we got onto the subject about making your life an act of worship.  One of their concerns was how busy their lives were and how hard it is to fit in time with God.  And, boy after hearing all of the activities they are involved in, in addition to school, they are definitely busier than I am! We talked about how everything you do on a daily basis can be an act of worship.  I recounted many times that I missed opportunities to make my choices for God instead of myself.  Falling short is something I do on a daily basis, but God is just to forgive and mighty to save.
I think the moment God spoke to me the most this weekend was listening to the band Dutton play the song Welcome Home.  I immediately thought of my grandparents and how when they died, God welcomed them running with open arms and said, "Welcome home my child."  It's a beautiful song and I know that someday I will be able to hear those same words.  Until then I pray that my life can be full of daily worship of Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment