Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day Mom

My mom with Bailey
My mother has taught me quite a bit in my almost 32 years on planet Earth.  Here are just a few...

Have faith in God
When she was 15 years old, her brother Preston passed away.  I can't even begin to imagine experiencing that kind of loss, especially at such a young age. Yet, her faith in God is incredibly strong.  I have never experienced that kind of loss, but I would like to think that when I do experience it, I will rely on God and trust that He is always in control.
 

Don't let your physical challenges keep you from doing something you love
My mother has lost quite a bit of her hearing during her adult years.  I know that this is tough for her, especially begin so gifted musically.  Yet, she continues to sing in the choir at our church and play the piano.  The biggest physical challenge that I have is exercise-induced asthma and the only time that becomes a problem is when I'm playing soccer.  Not such a huge problem now, but when I was younger it was pretty tough overcoming that and playing college soccer.  But I'd push through it just like my mom does every day because it was what I loved to do.


Share your faith with your family
I admire my mother so much for her faith and how she encourages others, including her family, on their faith journey.  As long as I can remember my mother would share the Bible with me and pray for me.  Now that I'm a mother I know how hard it actually is to find time in your day to do that with Bailey.  I'm so thankful that she took the time to mold my faith. 


Bailey calls her "Nana"
Support your child's dreams
My parents have always supported my dreams.  I wanted to play college soccer at a small, private (expensive) school that did not offer athletic scholarships.  They encouraged my 100% to pursue this dream and on top of that drove the long 4 hours to come see me play in Abilene.  Sometimes making that drive to Abilene and back in one day. I could probably only count on 2 hands how many games they missed in my whole 4 years playing for HSU.  Talk about dedicated fans! 

I consider myself incredibly lucky that I am now a mother and can use what I have learned to be this kind of mother to my sweet Bailey Laine.  Now I get to see the amazing grandmother that she is and continue to learn from her! 
Katie, my mom, and me at Katie's bridal luncheon

No comments:

Post a Comment