Friday, January 10, 2014

Thought-provoking Lesson from a Four Year Old

It has been soooo incredibly long since I have posted on this blog and I have no excuse except that life has happened.  The last time I wrote on this blog Bailey was 3 years old.  Now at 4 years old she is teaching me quite a few lessons about myself.

Here is one in particular that I hope to apply every day:

I was having a conversation the other day with Bailey on the way to school and she asked me the question, "Mommy, what do you like about yourself?".  I answered quickly with, "I'm funny."  She giggled at that because of course I'm funny to her....she's four years old.  And I realize that I am not all that funny to most adults.  I have the humor of a third grader, which works out for me because that is what I teach.  I digress....

So the conversation continued and I asked her the same question in return.  Here is what my very pragmatic and positive four year old said:
"I like my eyes because I can see with them."
"I like my ears because I can hear with them."
"I like my nose because I can smell with it."

Wow!  Just wow!  I am 33 years old and have never looked at it like that.  Here's what my response would have been:
"I like my brown eyes, but sometimes they seem dull and I wish I had blue ones."
"I actually do like my ears because they don't stick out."
"I definitely don't like my nose.  It is too big and too wide and I have thought about a nose job before."

I thought about this the whole way to work.  When I say those negative things about my body, I'm also saying them to God.  He created me and what I'm saying is, "Your creation isn't good enough."
I need to think about what God gave me and stop complaining.  I need to see the blessings in my life and be grateful for the life, the body, the brain, the family, the grace....everything God gave me. 

My self talk needs to sound like this:
"I love my legs because they help me walk, play soccer, chase my daughter, and dance."
"I love my eyes because I can look at my daughter and see her beautiful, smiling face.  I can see God's amazing creation." Oh, and I love my eyes because at 33 years of age I still don't need glasses.  Of course that could change any day now...
"I love my nose because it shows my German ancestry."


God has blessed me more than I ever deserve and I need to be grateful for every day He gives me on this Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment